Tuesday, November 8, 2011

No Food

Today I am venting over something that happened today that really bothers me. As I am cooking my dinner (lasagna) and thinking of someone that has nothing. I volunteer at a food bank in Bonham on Tuesdays. Over 400 families a month come and get food. The date you 1st get food is the date you can come back the next month. But this month we will be closed for a week for Thanksgiving, so families can come in before their date. Usually you can't come in any earlier than a week before and I understand rules are important. But when a mother comes in and is told come back in 2 days, it bothered me. She has no car, which means she probably paid someone her last couple $ to get there and get food for her family. I am so sorry. Just the look on her face will haunt me forever. You could tell she was distressed when she walked in the door, and how the tears were in her eyes when she left. I just wish I would have done something. As I am just a person that works in the back and fills orders. I don't think I could ever work in the front office, because I would never turn anyone away, and if I ever did I would feel terrible about it. But rules are rules for a reason.

1 comment: